The American Association of University Women (AAUW) is a nationwide network of more than 170,000 members and supporters, 1,000 branches, 800 college/university institution partners, and over 100 student organizations.
Since 1881, AAUW members have examined and taken positions on the fundamental issues of the day — educational, social, economic and political. View a pictorial history of AAUW’s place in women’s history here. Our commitment to our mission is reflected in all aspects of our work.
AAUW Idaho State Convention, hosted by Boise Area Branch, June 2018
AAUW’s Mission and Value Promise
AAUW advances equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy and research. By joining AAUW, you belong to a community that breaks through educational and economic barriers so that all women and girls have a fair chance.
The Boise Area Branch has been active in the community since 1909. In 2001, Patricia Wickman and Karen Svea Johnson collaborated on The Boise Branch of the American Association of University Women in the 20th Century: A History, which describes our local organization in a broader historical context.
Branch membership currently exceeds 250 men and women, thanks to the dedication and hard work of our leadership. In 2014, Julie Custer took the lead in securing 501(c)(3) nonprofit status for the AAUW Boise Area Branch, Inc.
The branch holds monthly meetings September to May, with many program meetings open to the public. Please visit our Calendar page for scheduled programs. Visit our Membership page and join our community!
The branch is actively engaged in public policy work throughout the year, and maintains a presence at the Statehouse during the Idaho legislative session. Visit our AAUW of Idaho Advocacy page to see what issues the AAUW Idaho Statehouse Lobby Corps is tracking, and view photos on our Special Projects page to see the branch in action.
Branch members support local scholarships and work on special projects like Title IX, Project Recognition and STEM. Our many fundraisers enable us to support local projects, team with like-minded allies, and further AAUW’s mission.
We had the opportunity to meet and hear from two outstanding AAUW women at our 2017 holiday luncheon: Ana Costa from Brazil, who received an AAUW International Fellowship for her Masters of Public Administration at Boise State University, and Eva Rodriguez, who has been appointed as a delegate to the AAUW Student Advisory Council. Eva is also a BSU student.
- Thanks again to generous donors and hard-working branch members, the Garage Sale held September 9, 2017, was another huge success. Proceeds totaling $2,866.43 will be used to fund branch projects. Kudos to everyone that participated, and special thanks to event chairs Kathy Scott and Julie Custer.
- The annual Spring Luncheon and Silent Auction was held May 7, 2016 at The Riverside Hotel. The fabulous Silent Auction, organized by Kay Reed, netted over $5,000 to help fund next year’s branch activities, with a portion going to national to advance AAUW goals. See the photo gallery below for a few highlights of this fun event.
- The final numbers are in for the 2015 Holiday Greens fundraiser, and Boise Area Branch members have broken another record, with 260 total items sold and 123 centerpieces donated to the Women’s and Children’s Alliance! Branch President Julie Custer was thrilled that 123 families affected by domestic violence received fresh greens to brighten the holidays.
- The branch’s Fourth Annual Garage Sale was Saturday, August 29, 2015, and net profits were the best ever! Funds raised will support the Lisa Maatz visit in February 2016 and the Inez Robb Scholarship. Chair Pauline Irish (again) expertly coordinated the effort. Thank you to the many extremely generous donations from members and all the volunteers who worked so hard pricing, hauling and selling all those items.
- Spring Luncheon Silent Auction 2015: All records were broken with receipts totaling $5,517. Half of the proceeds will go to AAUW National to fund programs and research like Elect Her, $tart $mart, and the Legal Advocacy Fund, as well as to advance AAUW Research. The other half of the proceeds will go to our branch general fund to support local projects and activities.
- 2014 Branch Holiday Greens Fundraiser a Huge Success — Chair Julie Custer reported that $1,916.61 went to the Inez Robb Scholarship Fund, thanks to the generosity of Boise Area Branch members and friends.
- The Third Annual Garage Sale held July 26, 2014, brought in over $2,050 to fund the Inez Robb Memorial Scholarship. Kudos to Pauline Irish and her team, and to all the members who contributed and worked on sale day!
- Spring Luncheon Silent Auction 2014: $3,200 was raised with proceeds benefitting branch activities and national funds.
- Holiday Greens Fundraiser: The 2013 effort netted $1,024 for the Inez Robb Scholarship. The Holiday Party bake sale brought in an additional $278.
2016 Photo Gallery
Happy Hour and Welcome Back Brunch with Special Guest Lisa Maatz, September 15 & 17, 2016
Spring Luncheon and Silent Auction at the Riverside, May 7, 2016
photos by Wes Gibson
2015 Photo Gallery
Washington D.C., June 26, 2015: SCOTUS Marriage Equality Decision. Branch member and AAUW Idaho President Kathy Scott attended the celebration.